Thinking of starting a new home care agency? The timing couldn’t be better, with the need for care for the elderly skyrocketing as Baby Boomers begin to age. According to the latest report from the CDC, 8 million people in the U.S. alone received caregiving services – and almost 5 million of those were provided by home health agencies.
However, simply ordering brochures and waiting for the phone to ring isn’t enough when it comes to home care. Taking the time to plan strategically in advance makes all the difference in this “at need” industry – meaning that consumers won’t give a thought to these services until they have a specific need for them. And when they do have a need, they’re in a heightened emotional state and need them immediately.
To get started on the right foot, we’ve created a FREE home health startup checklist to guide you through the process and ensure that nothing slips through the cracks. Items that all home care agencies should have in place prior to opening the doors include:
- Branded Identity: Research competition, develop key differentiating factors, develop the business name, logo and collateral materials. Brochures alone aren’t enough; having useful information to give to referral sources and potential clients, such as rack cards on a variety of specific topics, is important.
- Business Identity: Design and print business cards, letterhead, envelopes, note cards, folders.
- Website: Obtain a URL, establish a hosting account, develop content and keep the site updated on a regular basis. Have useful, shareable, relevant content on your site that helps with the immediate needs of those searching for home care.
- Seminars/Workshops/Trade Shows: Determine possibility of presenting, sponsoring and/or attending the many national, state and local industry events; if presenting or sponsoring, design materials, a booth if appropriate, branded PowerPoint presentation(s), and more
- Press Kit: Develop key messages, refine media targets, develop company/principal backgrounders, press releases, articles, etc.
Taking all of this into account, along with the other items included in our free home health startup checklist, is a simple way to make sure all your ducks are in a row before you begin your strategic plan. And if the thought of creating a strategy on your own seems overwhelming, we’re here to help! Give us a call at 800-370-6580, x1, or visit our website to learn more.